Monday, September 2, 2013

What will make me happy today....the garage?

I spent the whole day today....7:30 am to 5:30 PM in my garage. To get what I want....
What I want is a clean and organized garage. 
 It was a perfect cool and overcast day that gave me energy. The oppressive steam and heat had subsided to a fresh crispness in the air and the rumble in the city from the Harley Davidson 110th Anniversary bash was gone as they rumbled home to their own cities.  The crisp night air refreshed my mind and my energy and when I woke up this morning , as usual I said to myself.....
"what will make me happy today? " finding another box of my books "Diary of a Turkish Wedding" which got buried somewhere in my garage and I need them for a book signing next week. Well I finally found them at 5:30 and I am thrilled and astonished with what I accomplished during my search. Consolidating all of my Christmas decor into one area brought me my first sigh of relief.  Then I threw out boxes of taxes and info from a business I owned in 2004. I found a box of receipts and taxes from 1999. I bravely dove into a 2 drawer file and took everything out and burned, shredded  or refiled in my cabinets in the house.  Someone is going to be very happy to save $60 and get a free file cabinet from me with all the hanging files...that's another $30.  It was a gorgeous 70 degree day and I enjoyed every minute of it by taking my time to sit down outside with a box of things on my table in the back yard and enjoyed every minute of the day.  Bless Gregg...a client. I called him to get down some boxes too high for me and he rousted himself off his lazy day couch potato position and  drove from Brown Deer to my house in Bay View and helped me for 90 minutes.  He helps me organize my garage every year and he keeps me motivated.  It's always easier to keep the energy moving when you have a friend nudging and asking questions.  He's good at organizing and  dives into  the disaster with vigor and grit. I worked for another 3 hours after he left but at a slower pace sorting through 3 boxes of items from past classes and conferences or a clean out from my trunk a few months ago.  Sitting in the beauty of the flowers in my back yard.  Listening to the happy gurgle of my waterfall with Gigi napping in the chair beside me.   Life just couldn't get any better than it was today.   Now I am very tired and very pleased with myself.  Of curse there is more "refining" to do , but I got the major reorganizing done and have 5 boxes of tools and remodeling supplies to give to ReStore tomorrow.  I had to  stop myself and shift gears so I took Gigi for a walk along Lake Michigan on this gorgeous night  or I'd still be in the garage. I also treated myself to a great meal...I earned it, I deserve it and I enjoyed every bite.
 
What do you want to get rid of to make room for space for creativity and joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment